Saturday, June 12, 2010

Miyuki's first meeting with Miki-san



Miki-san is Nikkei Nisei in her 70s, a little bit older than my parents in Japan, but so much more open and interested in different prospective, a well informed sparky wise lady. We met at the Gibsons Library. Our library is small but well situated with water view and full with broad range of readers in all age group, so our first meeting was atmospheric and suitable to start my mentor ship.

Since Miki-san is a retired teacher and expert in cross cultural experience, whenever I see her, I often ask her about school system here in Canada, disciplines, and child learning regarding my own children's upbringing. We are so looking into future of our community with positive outcome. I see her as one of well educated, deep thinking, very humble, yet strong and good sense of humor Nikkei mentor. So, I want this whole experience to be uplifting, not dwelling too much on negativities, like so many Nikkei people are, very artistic, intuitive, and harmonious. I want my art for this project to be inspiring and mind opening to viewers.

As for my art production, I start imagining that I will make several blown glass jars filled with Miki-san's memorable objects such as photos, papers, jewelries, ....... She did say she doesn't have anything other than very few photos from her parents since all their belongings were taken away during the war, so I thought about some jar can stay empty with indicated labels on what should be there, but be lost. Even in this conversation, she was not bitter about this, she practices her Buddhism approach, no attachment, not materialistic life.....This is definitely her strength and inspiration to us)

In addition to this, I would like to make a large wall piece, mixed media on board, abstract painting with collague element reflecting her flow of time, lessens, environment, growth, I might include pages from her favorite books, photocopied her old photo images, documents and such. Jars will be presented together with a wall piece.Bis

No comments:

Post a Comment